What is the role of Public Safety?
Public safety aims to protect a community from crime, disasters, and other threats. The City of Pittsburgh has a dedicated Public Safety Department which helps to coordinate the responsibilities of several government organizations and local departments.
IN THE SOUTH SIDE, PUBLIC SAFETY STAKEHOLDERS INCLUDE:
Pittsburgh Bureau of Fire Station 24
- PA House: Rep. Jessica Benham – District 36
- PA House: Rep. Aerion Abney – District 19
- PA Senate: Sen. Jay Costa – District 43
HOW DO I ENGAGE IN HEARING ABOUT & VOICING PUBLIC SAFETY CONCERNS?
Public safety is a topic of ongoing concern for residents and businesses in the South Side. It affects the quality of life of our residents and the prosperity of our businesses. Several meetings have been held between the various stakeholder groups to hear concerns and organize planning.
The Office of the Mayor will be attending the monthly Planning Forum meetings on an as-needed basis. Representatives will give updates on the Mayor’s ‘Three Prong Approach: Law Enforcement, Code Enforcement, and Fire Enforcement’ for East Carson Street. The meetings are open to the public. If you wish to attend future meetings, please email email@example.com to be added to the invite distribution list.
|South Side Planning Forum||August 9||Meeting minutes|
|South Side Planning Forum / East Carson Street Public Safety Meeting||July 12||Zoom recording, minutes|
|Meeting with ECS Bar Owners and Mayor Ed Gainey||July 7||Zoom meeting notes|
|Open Town Hall with Mayor Ed Gainey||June 14||flip chart notes, Zoom meeting notes|
How else can I help?
- Email, call, or write to your government representatives and let them know of your public safety concerns.
- Reach out to your Block Watch Leads
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Report incidents:
- Be a good neighbor.
- Introduce yourself to your neighbors, welcome new neighbors, and check in with each other.
- Know and follow city codes and ordinances regarding noise and property maintenance including your sidewalk and trash.